I’m Practicing My Resting Grinch Face. Want To Join Me?

Resting_Grinch_Face

Image Credit: TheGrinchMovie.co.uk

I don’t so much have a ‘resting Grinch face’ but I definitely think I have a Grinch attitude.

My very first post ever on this little blog of mine was entitled  ‘Am I the Valentine Grinch?’ and now I’m writing a post wondering am I turning into a full blown Christmas Grinch!!

It’s quite timely that there is a new Grinch movie out this month. I’ll probably go and see it although I’ve been whinging to the fam about why it appears that Hollywood may have spoiled it with an animation version rather than following on in the style of the first movie. We’ll see.

The reason why I feel ‘grinchy’ is that I think culturally we may be losing Christmas. I feel as if I want to swoop down and remove anything holiday related from the shop shelves until December 1st.

I’ve been out food shopping over the weekend and noticed the full on Christmas mode following swiftly on from Halloween.

You might want to read an older post about how much I love Halloween.

Surely 24 days would be enough time for us all to buy and prepare for Christmas, wouldn’t it?

Instead, what comes is a mass, materialistic frenzy earlier and earlier every year.

I need to say here as well at this point that I love Christmas. Everything about it. I love it just as much now that my kids are grownups. We still have traditions that begin on Christmas Eve actually even earlier. My boys would never forgive me if they didn’t get their advent calendar. What age do you stop?  I think if you asked them they’d cry a resounding ‘never!’ and actually I’m happy with that.

This has made me remember to mention to you about advent calendars and how crazy everyone has gone for these? Literally any product that downsizes into a plausible mini version of itself will be squeezed into a December door! How mad is that? The cost of some of them is off the scale. More than I would expect to spend on an actual Christmas gift in some cases.

Some of them are exceptional value for money. Take the M&S Beauty & Makeup Advent Calendar.  There are  £280 worth of beauty products in it. It costs £35.00 once you’ve spent £35.00. As I write this post on November 4th I find that it’s sold out online. Yes .. sold out … 4th November. Has the world gone mad?

Marks_Spencer_Beauty_2018_Advent_Calendar

People are free to do what they want. I’m a big believer in live and let live but I think the world is becoming a sad place forever racing to get the next thing and none more so than at Christmas time.

The problem is is that you have to join in with the frenzy to some extent as well otherwise you’ll be left with the scraps. If your kids want something you have to jump on the Christmas bandwagon and get what they want before it’s gone. There’s not a worse feeling for parents than ‘kid pressure’.

I remember last year I wanted a Flamingo Snow Globe from Paperchase. I left it too late. By 30th November I couldn’t get one for love nor money. Mad isn’t it?

If you want this year’s version {pictured below} then you better hurry >>>> here.

Flamingo_Christmas_Snow_Globe

That’s the thing isn’t it? Remembering what Christmas really is? I’m not religious, at least not practising in any form these days but I truly believe we need to deconstruct the buying madness it has become.

I certainly won’t love Mr B any less if he doesn’t get me a decent pressie. It’s a good job, too. His gift seeking skills are definitely not why I married him 😉

For me it’s all about quality family time. What about you?

Money saving expert, Martin Lewis has gone one further by creating a NUPP: No Unnecessary Present Pact.

Whilst I love giving and receiving presents at Christmas I wouldn’t go as far as a NUPP.  What I would love though, is for Christmas to be less of a 2 month long {probably 3 month in reality} retail festival. For me, I’ll be shopping everything Christmas from December 1st and what I can’t get well I can’t get.

I’d love to know what you all think and what you do regarding Christmas shopping and gift giving.

Sharon xo

Sometimes my posts feature affiliate links. They do not cost you anything. Please read more about them in my disclaimer here.

10 Comments

1. November 5, 2018 / 8:13 am

We buy gifts voor eachother, we don t have kids it s just the two of is, for around €50. We don t say what we want, the other had to shop for fun unexpected little gifts. And after breakvast on Christmas Day we give it to eachother, after the gifts have been lying under the Christmas tree for weeks! It s about fun, cozyness, time for eachother!

• Sharon Sinclair.Williams
      Author
      November 6, 2018 / 5:55 pm

That sounds cute, Nancy 😉 I love everything about Christmas .. I just wish it was all in December not the last 3 months of the year!!

2. November 5, 2018 / 6:05 pm

I honestly don’t go mad on gifts at all and tend to do most of my shopping for the kids in one big spree at the metrocentre and in one stint online. For the grown ups, I like to just pick up little bits here and there from markets and small businesses when out and about – I look for something unique and don’t really feel pressured to buy anything specific.

Why don’t you do all your shopping now, put it away and forget about it and then enjoy December without the worry? x

• Sharon Sinclair.Williams
      Author
      November 6, 2018 / 5:53 pm

I like going mad {to an affordable degree} on gifts, Sam. I love everything about Christmas … just not in October and early November!! xo

3. Annette Doyle
    November 7, 2018 / 1:30 pm

I am with you Sharon, I really love Christmas and enjoy Christmas shopping whether in the shops or online. I do hate having to shop earlier and earlier each year and almost being forced into it if you have to buy things that might run out, especially for kids. I refuse to buy mince pies until December (my private little protest – don’t think M&S have missed me) and roll my eyes when I see Christmas decorations and cards in the shops before Bonfire Night (so effective)! I don’t ‘get in the mood’ until after my daughter’s birthday on 1st December and leave my card writing until then but that makes me panic every year trying to get them written and posted in time, especially when they arrive in piles every day. I complain every year but truth is, there is no stopping it! x

• Sharon Sinclair.Williams
      Author
      November 7, 2018 / 9:37 pm

I’m glad you know where I am coming from Annette. If only it wasn’t so out of control. I’m in solidarity about the mince pie buying too 😉

4. Sara
    November 8, 2018 / 6:29 am

We’re having a bit of debate in our family at the moment because we’re dropping the gifts this year. Itstarted as a suggestion from my SIL and I was ‘in.’ Nobody really wants all that ‘stuff.’ I have the youngest child in the family, 18 in a couple of weeks, so it isn’t like we’re spoilung the traditional pressies for any little ones. I have loved Christmas, done it (with bells on bells 🔔 on for 2 decades) but this year I’d rather get together for a lovely day with all of them. It’s ruffling some feathers though and that has been a bit sad.

• Sharon Sinclair.Williams
      Author
      November 9, 2018 / 3:52 pm

Me too, Sara .. the bells and whistles. I just wish the prep started in December.

I love a cosy day all barricaded in with fizz and food and the board games and the telly. I’m the earliest one up on Christmas morning these days as well. I’m like a big kid once it arrives but I like little meaningful gifts and none of this materialistic jostling in the shops and trying to buy things that sold out at the beginning of November .. crazy!! xo

5. November 11, 2018 / 6:39 pm

I know what you mean about selling out. there were so many calendars I wanted last year that all sold out even before December. it’s mad! Xmas now for me is about spending time with family and making memories. Must remember it’s not big or clever to get stinking drunk on xmas eve at the pub and not be able to eat my xmas dinner this year!

• Sharon Sinclair.Williams